Picky Eaters

Out of my five children I have at least two picky eaters. When I present my created concoction of food, carefully arrayed and thought out in terms of healthiness, there will always be someone who doesn't like something on their plate. On very rare occasions, all five, will eat, lick every last piece of food on their plate. As a mother, I'm pretty firm on having them eat most, if not all of their food. After all, having a balanced meal is good for the well being of the body and mind. I most certainly want my children to grow healthy and strong.

As a young child, I was a picky eater as well. I remember clearly the evenings when my father would cook liver. How I abhorred those evenings! I would come home from school, greeted by the smell of cooked liver, and cringe. I knew what was coming. A long evening at the table, swinging my legs in rebellion, emitting a whimpering/whining sound as my liver sat on my plate...cold, an hour after everyone had left the table. My father would insist that I eat every last piece. "It's good for you." He would say firmly. "You're going to eat it all." It was a statement, not a persuasion. I knew eventually I was going to eat it. I just didn't want to accept that I was going to eat it.


In the same light, a lot of people can be "picky eaters" when it comes to the Word of God. Accepting what parts they like and leaving out the parts they don't. Picking out parts that suits their own theories of life. Or parts that make them feel good and happy. Picky eaters are apt to lack a full understanding of who God, or Jesus is. Picky eaters are likely to say God is only a God of mercy, He never punishes or disciplines. Picky eaters may view Jesus as someone who was a meek, moral pushover who taught us how to be "good". Picky eaters may just as well be the opposite. They may view God, or Jesus as harsh and judgemental, unmerciful and full of condemnation ignoring His tender mercies and declarations of love for us.

The reality is, the Word of God sears through the heart and determines the intentions of men.


For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart - Hebrews 4:12

In this day and age of self esteem and "feel good" philosophies, the Word can be a devastating blow to our egos. We like the way we think and we're proud of our hard work! The truth is Scripture firmly tells us this:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. - Isaiah 64:6

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. - Romans 3:12

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.- 1 Corinthians 3:19

As a child, I could not perceive how something so icky can be so good for my health and well being. As a parent, what I now understand is the importance of having a full meal. The Word of God has been served to us in full, hand delivered by His Son. To pick certain parts of the meal and leave out other parts would do an injustice to not only us, because we forsake our own spiritual health and understanding, but to the very King we worship. The Word is "health to our bones". It IS a balanced meal! As much as condemnation and judgement is emphasized. Grace, mercy and love is emphasized as well.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones - Proverbs 3:5-8


When we receive every part of God's holy Word, our spiritual lives gain a healthy balance, restoration of Order that He has originally established.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

(Paul speaking of future events)

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. - 1 Corinthians 13: 11-12


There are many definitions of strength. I believe the true measure of a person's strength lies in their ability to accept the truth no matter how shocking, painful or ugly.

Comments

  1. awesome post! So true!

    But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. - Isaiah 64:6

    this is one of my favorite verses in that keeps me humble.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.

Please note the changes to this blog. ONLY respectful comments and questions are accepted. Special note to other Christians: This blog no longer caters to debate and or arguments about the Bible. If you have a comment in SUPPORT of clear and concise understanding of the saving power of Christ Jesus, you are welcome to leave comments on this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Law of Sin and Death

Confessions of a Former World Wide Church of God Member

Translation vs. Paraphrase